We have been offering real assets solutions to our clients since 2013. Our strategies focus on alternative income and capital growth and aim to deliver attractive risk-adjusted returns with downside mitigation in any market environment.
What we do
As an experienced investor in real assets, we work with Limited Partners and General Partners worldwide to build portfolios of high-conviction funds and high-quality underlying companies and properties in transactions with favorable dynamics.
We have established long-term relationships with a large network of managers, fostering continued attractive deal flow and early access to investment opportunities. We use information gathered from our Primary and Secondary investments teams to efficiently source and price deals through our local teams in Europe, the US and Asia Pacific – leveraging LGT Capital Partners’ global private markets platform.
We focus on two key areas in the real assets space:
- Private real estate – We have a differentiated real estate strategy, with multiple access points to non-core real estate, investing in debt and equity structures and specific areas of expertise in small-cap funds, co-investments and secondaries, as well as programmatic joint ventures. We take an active bottom-up approach to portfolio construction, focusing on high-conviction sectors supported by long-term demographic or secular trends.
- Private infrastructure – Our infrastructure strategy focuses on core plus and value-add opportunities supported by long-term growth drivers of energy transition, digitalization and demographic change. The strategy focuses on acquiring a diversified portfolio of infrastructure assets that provide essential services and inflation-linked returns, while applying a private equity toolkit to drive additional value creation. The strategy is implemented through a focus on direct co-investments and secondaries.
Our approach – why partner with us
Based on our strong track record of investing in real assets across different cycles, we aim to deliver competitive returns to investors. We draw on our key strengths and experience, including:
- Global team with local know-how – Our real assets investment specialists have deep knowledge of the various markets we invest in, including local regulatory and legal frameworks, as well as credit risk assessment and allocation/pricing risk.
- Long-term investment horizon and prudent approach to risk – We target a long-term horizon to capture the full range of opportunities across core, core plus and value-add strategies, as well as diversifying across managers, geographies, vintages years and other dimensions. Our investment approach includes robust risk management, with all investments being reviewed by the seasoned professionals on the Investment Committee and independent risk managers.
- Strong alignment of interests – The LGT Endowment has committed over USD 1 billion to infrastructure and real estate to date, demonstrating our role as a principal investor and confirming a disciplined investment approach.
- Sustainability and ESG expertise – We have a longstanding commitment to integrating ESG criteria into our client programs and our business operations in general. A robust ESG assessment is embedded in the due diligence process for all investments in real assets.
Team – an average of 11 years of industry experience
In our global platform, local teams have deep networks in their respective fields of expertise. Our Real Assets team comprises 11 investment professionals with an average of 11 years of industry experience and an average tenure of 4 years at LGT Capital Partners. The Investment Committee consists of senior Managing Partners, Partners and Principals. Our Real Assets team has proven capabilities in structuring and execution, and expertise in managing private infrastructure and real estate assets.
Decarbonize and digitize the global economy over the coming decades
"I have more than 15 years of experience in the infrastructure space. I decided to join LGT Capital Partners’ Infrastructure investment team as I felt the platform was extremely well positioned to take advantage of the generational opportunity to invest in private infrastructure. This opportunity is driven by the need to decarbonize and digitize the global economy over the coming decades, while maintaining the infrastructure required to support a growing and aging population. Through our infrastructure solutions, we aim to provide clients with portfolios that offer a combination of downside mitigation and strong upside potential through exposure to these secular trends."